Thursday, January 26, 2012

Julie and Julia

It has been so LONG since I have blogged...life happened!  For months a good friend and I have been planning to follow through on a standing joke....ala "Julie and Julia", the movie!  Last Monday we finally scheduled the time to cook Julia Child's recipe for Beef Bourgenion.  We shopped we read, we read, we explained our thoughts as we made our way through the very layered recipe step by step.  It takes a good hour to prep all the parts and it is cooked in layers of flavor.  You need to have a pot that can go from stovetop to oven and back again. 

We found some problems in interpreting the types of ingredients that Julia used in 1961 compared to 2012, but overall we stayed as true to the recipe as possible.  It took about 3 hours in the oven, but we had a lot of fun and laughed (mostly at ourselves) alot.   We asked ourselves if we would do it again...my friend would ( I think), but I'm not sure I would.  I would definately take some shortcuts, but that is the type of cook that I am!

I have included a couple to photos to our delicious adventure.  If you haven't seen or rented the film, Julie and Julia with Amy Adams and Meryl Streep, its well worth the time and rental.  In keeping with the spirit of the movie, I just had to blog about it!

Life was sweet in Michigan, last Monday!

1 comment: